Friday, December 13, 2013

Airplane crashes

Hey bloggers!

Today I bring you another infographic that I made at class. This one is about airplane crashes in the U.S. The purpose was doing a graphic based on an Excel document with many data about all the airplane crashes in the world since the beginning of the last century. I though it would be interesting to focus only in one country and that's the reason why I chose the United States. 
Who could it be addressed? I think this graphic would be interesting for being addressed to the American audience, probably could be publishable in a newspaper beside an article explaining the dramatic consequences of plane crashes. I've also made the graphic quite simple and understandable for everybody (maps and linear graphics are very familiar to everyone), so I think it could aim to every American adult.


Colors:
As the topic was quite serious I wanted the graphic to focus on the information that was given rather than on the colors. That's why I chose a neutral background, to give seriousness and formality to the graphic. I've also chose not very bright, saturated colors on the maps because as I said I wanted to give it a serious, more journalistic style. 

Fonts: 
As for the fonts, I chose this neutral, very simple and plain black font for the data and the explanations and this purple more impacting font to catch a little bit more the attention of the reader. 

Organization:
I though it would be interesting to cover the main questions that an American adult could answer himself in front of this topic. That's why I distributed the work into three different graphics. First, a map of where had most accidents happened (concretely in which State) and where not. Secondly, a line graphic in which we could see the evolution of the amount of airplane crashes from 2000 to 2009, that answers to the question: In which years have there been more plane accidents? And lastly, in which has died more people, focusing on the three "worst" States that have suffered most fatalities in their plane crashes.

Style: 
In order to give it a more dynamic style, because I was aware that if not the graphic could seem quite dull, I've found nice to connect all the graphics with a plane icon and its fly path. With this I also aimed to follow one of the principles of graphic designers that is directing the eyes. This way the reader is given an extra guidance through the graphic and the order in which the information has to been processed is clearly established.

Errors:
I'm not quite sure about the distribution of space in this graphic, because at first I thought it was good, but now that I see it again I find that there is many blank space and that the text explanation in the second graphic looks like if it was floating there for no reason. I guess I should have managed that better.

I hope you've like it and I hope you can leave me your suggestions and opinions on my graphic!

Sara.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sara! You have done a really really really good work in this Infographic...but I find the same structure at the top and bottom so evidente ahahah. GOOD JOB!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your observation Hector! I haven't thought before that it could look a little bit repetitive for the reader.

      Delete

Leave your comments here!